Mersea Island is a small island just off the coast of Essex near to the old Roman town of Colchester. It’s been many years since a boat was required to reach Mersea but if you’re going to visit you should know that every day at high tide, the seas covers the causeway that leads between the island and the mainland. Check your tide times in advance.
Once you reach this small town and island there are plenty of coastal walks to be had and pubs to visit but for the beer purists there’s a very small vineyard and brewery a few miles to the east of the town itself. To get there just cross the causeway and take the left turn at the end, follow the road for a couple of miles and watch out for the turn off to the brewery and vineyard on the right.
While we appreciate an occasional glass wine we’re really here for the beer and the Mersea Island brewery doesn’t disappoint; we’ve visited many larger breweries with only a fraction of the selection available here and this is what’s available:
- Island Pale Ale (3.9%) – a light bitter ale with a hoppy flavour.
- Island Gold (4.5%) – a personal favourite and lighter, summery flavour.
- Island Skippers (4.8%) – a dark, malty bitter brewed with Fruggles hops.
- Island Monkeys (4.5%) – a liquorice flavoured stout with a bitter after taste.
- Island Oyster (5.1%) – the strongest bottled beer, it’s a mixture of light and dark malts and includes Mersea Island’s very own oysters.
Cask Conditioned Beers
- Yo Boy (3.8%) – a combination of the following hops: Fuggles, Phoenix, Challenger and Cascade, it’s a bitter with a long-lasting aftertaste.
- Skippers (4.8%) – this is a ‘best’ bitter and a dark one at that; malty flavoured from five different malts plus the Fuggles hops.
- Lion Bitter (3.9%) – an interesting pale bitter flavoured with nut and caramel, and six malts.
- Gold (4.4%) – if you like Island Gold you’ll like this brew; a summery taste made with Lager Malt and Hops.
- Oyster (5.0%) – another brew containing Mersea’s legendary oysters plus oats and a mixture of light and dark malts.